Take a journey into the unknown, Web 1.0, 2.0,3.0,??? Excite, Enjoy, Innovate

"To allow fear to be in control of one's life, is to limit oneself and all around you. Connect with your children, with your learners. Understand them, understand their worlds and grow with them, not against them".




Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, 5 June 2007

Youtube and learning - Why so many questions? What is the problem?

I have been intrigued by the discussion in the AFLF Australian Flexible Learning Framework, about youtube and it's place in education. The discussion can be found here Personally I can see great scope for youtube as a component or an add on to our learning tool kit. You will find that I am using 'learning' these days, more than education or teaching, as I feel learning is more appropriate: Learning Education Teaching I know that I have learnt a great deal from watching a number of youtubes relevant to e-learning, such as a past post I made - are schools killing creativity?. So personal learning for me now does not come just from books, reading blogs or writings of others in their respective settings, it now involves checking out - or having sent to my inbox (and to my blog) youtubes, relevant to the areas I am looking at - social networking, elearning. This is much like a selection of RSS text feeds but videos instead. Videos that are interesting, informative, provide a means of connecting with others that you may not come across in other searches we conduct and a means of providing feedback to the author. As I am spending quite a bit of my time in front of a computer these days, it is refreshing to find a youtube video to watch and listen to instead of straining the eyes when they are getting tired. It is certainly more helpful and greater learning aforded as the material is current. How many of us have subjected our learners and ourselves to videos from the library, that are so outdated, all the learners do is laugh at the fashion of the day or the haircuts, finding it near impossible to take the content seriously and their lecturer, facilitator finding it hard to stay awake? I know I have been guilty of doing this, but with youtube, I can provide learners with links to youtubes that I feel are of relevance and may aid them in their learning. Within the forum discussion, their are many that can see the benefits of youtube but still those that need convincing that youtube has any place in learning or the educational context at all. I remember the same arguments and the same resistance when video's and then DVD's came into classrooms, many objectors who needed proof before they would use them - now to not use either is seen as odd. It concerns me that everytime a new technology is posed as being relevant to learning, that so many fight it, argue against it. Why not take the half glass full approach, instead of the half glass empty approach and embrace tools no matter whether ononline or not, that will enhance not only the learning but the learning experience itself. That provide all involved with greater diversity, likely ehnanced engagement as all varied and thus more interesting, increased exposure to current, new and forecast mediums/tools thus a learning experience created for today and not yesterday. Below are just a few things I thought about when comparing video/dvd to youtube: Please feel free to add as I am sure not complete: How is youtube different to video/dvd? All are visual and audio learning tools, all contain learning material? What is the problem? Youtube
  • available from anyplace you can access the internet
  • visual media
  • audio media
  • current
  • greater choice
  • can create and publish oneself
  • contains learning material
  • connects you with others
  • cost free
  • ability to comment
Video/DVD
  • visual media
  • audio media
  • often outdated in content and look
  • choice limited
  • contain learning material
  • expensive
  • viewed only in a room at insitution or home or other place if allowed to take it away from library, where you have power and all the equipment (DVD, if you own a lap top computer and has the capability to play them, more flexible here)
  • created by others
  • no ability to comment
  • no connection with others
Well for me just looking at the rough above, I can see no issue with having youtube in my toolkit.

No comments: